- Category: annual reports
- Last Updated on Thursday, 19 September 2013 13:34
- Written by Grocery News
Some facts about Tesco plc
|profit cont oper||1,390||3,156|
|profit disc oper||(1,266)||(350)|
- Second largest retailer in Europe (Carrefour), Third largest retailer in the world (Carrefour, Walmart)
- top 2 market share in 9 of the 14 countries it operates in (top 2 Asia except for China, top 2 in Europe except Turkey). Operates in Turkey, China, India, Korea, Malaysia, United States (Fresh and Easy), Slovakia, United Kingdom, Czech Republic, Poland, Ireland, Thailand.
- Thailand market share is 13%. 1000 express stores, 1257 total.
- 66% of revenue and profit comes from the 3054 stores in Tesco UK.
- Berkshire Hathaway owns 5.08% of Tesco plc. Purchased 3.6% in 2011 for $1.7 billion.
- In 2012/2013 Tesco Bank loans and advances to customers increased by 1,220 million pounds after decreasing by 150 million pounds the year before.
- Tesco begins exiting USA (February 12, 2013) and Japan (January 1, 2013).
- 125 stores in China (launched 2004) serve 4.4 million customers each week, 139 stores in Ireland (1997), 431 stores in Poland (1996), 126 in Slovakia (1996), 191 stores in Turkey (started in 2001 by acquiring Kipa), 199 stores in California, Arizona, Nevada.
- Tesco Bank has 7 million customers and 2,818 employees. USA Fresh and Easy revenue 2q 2012 +27.3%
- stores, employees Oct 2012: UK 2979 - 300,373, Asia 1719 - 117,015, Europe 1351 - 94,409, USA 185 - 5,056
- Competition: UK: Lidl Dienstleistung GmbH, Walmart, Costco, USA: Safeway (Vons California), China: Carrefour
- China - In 2012 Tesco closed 5 stores and opened 14 bringing the total number of locations on the year up to 139. It ranks 4th in China behind RT Mart (12.8% share), Walmart (11.2% share), and Carrefour (8.1% share). In calendar year 2013 Tesco plans to open 16 new stores in China.